Mon, 27 June 2016
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Johny Hendricks Starts at: 4:06
- “The American Gangster” Chael Sonnen returns to Submission Radio to discuss a wide variety of topics, including UFC 200 and the matchup between Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt, how good Brock Lesnar’s wrestling really is, if Mark Hunt will knock him out, how big of a draw Lesnar really is compared to Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, Fedor Emelianenko getting dominated by Fabio Maldonado and if he should still go to the UFC, GSP saying he’ll return and wants to fight Michael Bisping, how Chael sees the fight playing out, his upcoming submission grappling tournament, and lots more.
- Stephen Thompson returns to Submission Radio to discuss his recent win over Rory MacDonald, how mentally grueling the fight was and why it didn’t play out like he expected, the negative reaction and boos from the crowd, the conversation he had with Rory backstage, what the win does for him and his title campaign, his thoughts on Tyron Woodley as a title challenger and why he wants to be the first man to dethrone Robbie Lawler, his analyst position for the UFC 201 fight, what goes on behind the desk on FOX during commercial breaks, his thoughts on Georges St-Pierre returning to the UFC, his relationship with GSP and if he’d fight the former welterweight champion, how he sees a fight between Michael Bisping and GSP playing out, his prediction for the Nate Diaz vs Conor McGregor rematch at UFC 202, and lots more!
- Legendary WWE commentator and Hall of Famer Jim Ross returns to Submission Radio to discuss the massive event that is UFC 200, the Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt fight and how Jim sees it going down, each man’s keys to victory, how long Brock Lesnar has been in training, whether Brock will stick around and have more fights in the future, if Jim was surprised that the WWE and UFC could come to an agreement, if a Lesnar loss hurts his reputation in the WWE and affects Summerslam, Fedor Emelianenko’s recent fight and if Jim would still be interested in a potential Brock Lesnar vs Fedor fight, what he expects out of CM Punk’s UFC debut at UFC 203 against Mickey Gall, if this could lead to CM Punk making a WWE return, Roman Reigns recently getting suspended and how this affects the former WWE champion, and lots more.
- UFC co-creator Campbell McLaren speaks to Submission Radio about originally basing the UFC on Mortal Kombat, the stories behind bringing in Joe Rogan and Joe Silva, the controversial marketing that lead to the sport being banned but also it’s success, UFC 200 as a spectacle and if he ever expected the sport to come so far, his current project in Combate Americas, and more.
- Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting returns to discuss MMA’s current hot topics, including Lesnar vs Hunt and it’s placement on the card, the recent Reebok wardrobe malfunctions, GSP’s potential return against Bisping, the potential UFC Sale, and more!
Direct download: Submission_Radio_95_Sonnen_Wonderboy_Hendricks_Jim_Ross_Campbell_McLaren_Raimondi__Fan_Qs.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 6:04am AEDT
Mon, 20 June 2016
Associate Editor of Bloody Elbow, Karim Zidan, returns to Submission Radio to discuss the recent shocking fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Fabio Maldonado at EFN 50.
- The discussion covers Fedor's decline over the years, the general change in style and Fedor's recent obsession with headhunting, Maldonado's ability to stun and hurt the once granite-chinned Russian, the controversial scorecards and decision, the hilarious commentary by Roman Mazyrov, how The Last Emperor would fair in 2016 against the UFC's top heavyweights and whether it would be a wise decision, why Fedor has always been the man pulling the strings behind his own career, various characters in Fedor's life such as Vadim Finkelchtein and Vladimir Putin and lots more.
- Also during the discussion, Karim delves deep into his experiences during his time spent in Russia, and sheds light on the shady practices of Russian billionaire Ziyavudin Magomedov, the shocking shooting of Shahbulat Shamhalaev, and even the twisted actions and mind of Viacheslav Datsik.
Direct download: BREAKDOWN_-_What_Exactly_Went_Wrong_for_Fedor__Russian_MMA_Politics_Stories_Karim_Zidan.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 4:53am AEDT
Mon, 20 June 2016
Robin Black (of The Fight Network) joins Submission Radio to help break down UFC Fight Night Ottawa AKA UFC Fight Night 89, and discuss such fights as Stephen Thompson vs Rory MacDonald, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone vs Patrick Cote, Steve Bosse vs Sean O'Connell, the controversial Joanne Calderwood vs Valerie Letourneau, and lots more!
Direct download: BREAKDOWN_-_UFC_Fight_Night_MacDonald_vs._Thompson_Robin_Black.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 4:52am AEDT
Mon, 13 June 2016
Submission Radio #94 Cody Garbrandt, Don Frye, Tommy Toe Hold, Dave Meltzer, Adam Hunter + Fan Questions
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Adam Hunter starts at: 4:14
- Cody Garbrandt returns to Submission Radio to talk about his recent first-round KO win over Thomas Almeida, Urijah Faber’s loss to Dominick Cruz at UFC 199 and how difficult it was to watch, the altercation between himself and Cruz that took place backstage post-fight, why Cody is confident he’ll knock Cruz out, Bryan Caraway and how he fits in the picture, Caraway’s victory over Aljemain Sterling and why Bryan wouldn’t last long enough to make Cody look average, how trash talk motivates him, what transpired between Clay Guida and Nate Diaz, Chad Mendes being potentially flagged by USADA, how important it is for him to fight on a Cleveland UFC card, Tinder and how he’s been helping his teammates, as well as much more.
- Tommy Toe Hold makes a memorable appearance back on Submission Radio to bring positivity and remind MMA fans why they should be happy in this current rollercoaster time in the sport.
- Don Frye makes his return to Submission Radio to discuss his induction into the UFC Hall of Fame, as well as what it means for him to receive such an honor, if he imagined that he’d be such a celebrated fighter when he was fighting in the early UFC tournaments, his historic career and the iconic fight he had with Yoshihiro Takayama, his relationship with Dan Severn and how it impacted his career, his thoughts on Brock Lesnar returning to face Mark Hunt at UFC 200, Dan Henderson and if he should retire or keep fighting, Michael Bisping defeating Luke Rockhold to become the UFC middleweight champion, his memories of Kimbo Slice and his reaction to the 42-year-old’s passing, as well as plenty more!
- Dave Meltzer returns to Submission Radio to discuss the recent happenings in the world of MMA, including Brock Lesnar making his return and how it will affect the numbers of UFC 200, how Lesnar matches up against Mark Hunt and why he took such a stiff challenge, the exemption that the WWE star has been given by USADA and the UFC regarding drug testing, how Lesnar’s stint in the UFC could affect future WWE stints for UFC fighters and if CM Punk would ever return to wrestling, Muhammad Ali passing away and what Dave’s favourite memories were of the iconic boxing legend, how Ali borrowed from pro wrestling to create his persona, if more MMA fighters should look to pro wrestling to help market themselves better, and lots more.
- Comedian Adam Hunter makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to talk about his experiences in the comedy world and roasting MMA fighters. Hunter also discusses the recent comedy show that featured himself, Matt Serra and Dana White, who’s routine was the best and how the crowd reacted to Dana White behind the mic, the worst heckler that Adam has ever encountered, which UFC fighters got mad at being roasted, his new TV show “living with funny”, as well as the time Angela Magana and Bec Rawlings invited him up to their hotel room!
Direct download: Submission_Radio_94_Cody_Garbrandt_Don_Frye_Tommy_Toe_Hold_Dave_Meltzer_Adam_Hunter__Fan_Questions.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 5:06am AEDT
Sun, 5 June 2016
On this special edition of Submission Radio, we chat to Jeremy Botter of FloSports, about UFC 199: Rockhold vs Bisping 2, Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 return, and Ariel Helwani potentially being banned for life by the UFC!
Direct download: UFC_199_REACTION_-_Bisping_Wins_Lesnar_Returns_Ariel_Helwani_Banned.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:39pm AEDT