Mon, 28 September 2015
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Stipe Miocic returns to Submission Radio to discuss his big fight against Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night Dublin. The Croatian heavyweight talks about his initial reaction when he discovered he wasn't getting the title shot, how to get more popular, if Cain Velasquez deserved the rematch against Fabricio Werdum, not being popular enough to fight for the belt, what he thinks of Ben Rothwell's creative entrances and post-fight antics, his advantages over Rothwell, Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem also closing in on title shots, if he feels pressure to put on an exciting fight against Ben, being scared by his fans, Fedor in the UFC and a Cro Cop rematch, his Halloween costume options, and more.
- Don Frye returns to Submission Radio to talk about his recent movie projects and the current MMA scene. Don discusses his experience at the UFC fight week fan expo, hanging out with Urijah Faber and Team Alpha Male, being willing to wear a pair of fake breasts for 10 million dollars, Donald Trump and the presidential candidates, Kanye West claiming he'll run for president in 2020, Tank Abbot's comments on Ronda Rousey, why Ronda would never stand a chance against male fighters, Fedor returning to MMA in Japan, the MMA scene in Japan and how much the Yakuza scandal impacted the chances of it ever being successful again, Fedor's chances in the UFC and if he decided to make a run at light heavyweight, Jon Jones, if he himself would be a part of Sakikabara's new Japanese promotion, Nick Diaz's five year suspension for Marijuana, the Nevada State Athletic Commission's incompetence and lack of professionalism, and much more.
- Phil Davis returns to Submission Radio to talk about his big wins at Bellator: Dynamite 1, and what's next. Davis weighs in on his Kimura win over Emanuel Newton and the message it sent to the rest of the division, Newton's light approach to training and only having two-week camps in the past, knocking out Francis Carmont and where his recent knockout power came from, how much time he had to prepare for Carmont once King Mo was officially injured, the experience of fighting twice in one night, his thoughts on Liam McGeary's performance against Tito Ortiz, how much of a factor his wrestling will be against McGeary, his reaction when Scott Coker put the belt on him, old school Pride events and what it was like having Lenne Hardt announce his name, Fedor signing over to Sakakibara's new Japanese promotion, if he wanted to see how Fedor would do in the UFC and if he would fight Fedor himself, who would win out of Randy Couture and Fedor Emelianenko, and more.
- Also on the show is discussion of UFC Fight Night Japan and fights such as Josh Barnett vs Roy Nelson, Urijah Hall's insane knockout of Gegard Mousasi and if it was a fluke, Kyoji Horiguchi vs Chico Camus, Takeya Mizugaki defeating George Roop in a generally strange fight, Diego Brandao blasting Katsunori Kikuno, the fun fight between Mizuto Hirota and Teruto Ishihara and how the UFC had no plans in the event of a draw, and Keita Nakamura making Li Jingliang faceplant straight into the canvas.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_67_Don_Frye_Phil_Davis_Stipe_Miocic__UFC_Japan.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 5:18am AEST
Tue, 22 September 2015
BREAKDOWN SPECIAL: Bellator: Dynamite 1, WSOF 23, Fedor, Nick Diaz w/ Frank Trigg & David St Martin - SR #66
In a special roundtable edition of Submission Radio, UFC Hall of famer Frank Trigg and MMA Fighting's Davis St. Martin join Kacper and Denis to break down WSOF 23, Bellator & Glory: Dynamite 1, Fedor Emelianenko signing with Japan's newest MMA promotion, and why Nick Diaz's suspension is absolutely ridiculous.
- Popular journalist and the man behind MMA Fighting's morning report, David St. Martin makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to help break down World Series of Fighting 23: Gaethje vs Palomino 2. David joins Kacper and Denis to talk about such fights as Justin Gaethje vs Luis Palomino and how it stacked up against the first one, David Branch vs Teddy Holder, Timur Valiev vs Tito Jones, Phoenix Jones vs Roberto Yong, Brian Foster vs LaRue Burley, and the controversial finish to Vagab Vagabov vs Brian Grinnell and what the consequence should be.
- MMA legend and UFC Hall of Famer Frank Trigg returns to Submission Radio to help break down Bellator & Glory: Dynamite 1 and what to make of Scott Coker's MMA/Kickboxing spectacle.
Frank talks about the production value, what worked and what didn't work, how it compared to the old school Pride FC shows, and whether or not the show could've had more of a 'Scott Coker' twist to it. With his vast knowledge of the sport, Trigg also weighs in on such fights as King Mo vs Linton Vassell, Phil Davis' fights against Emanuel Newton and Francis Carmont, Josh Thompson vs Mike Bronzoulis, and Tito Ortiz vs Liam McGeary. Aside from his analysis of the fights themselves, Trigg gives insight into the personalities and mindset of certain fighters, including Tito Ortiz, Liam McGeary, and Emanuel Newton.
To round off the show, Kacper and Denis get Frank's thoughts and also weigh in on Fedor Emelianenko signing with Nobuyuki Sakakibara's new Japanese promotion, if Japanese MMA has enough life in it to still be successful, possible opponents for Fedor to fight, if Fedor will eventually end up in the UFC, as well as Nick Diaz's controversial five year suspension.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_66_Bellator_Dynamite_WSOF_23_Fedor_Nick_Diaz_Breakdown_w_Frank_Trigg_David_St._Martin.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 5:19am AEST
Mon, 14 September 2015
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Chael Sonnen makes his first ever appearance on Submission Radio to talk about his new commentating gig at WSOF, Holly Holm's boxing and kickboxing titles having zero validity, Anderson Silva's ridiculous NSAC hearing, predicting that Jones/Johnson would never happen, setting the blueprint for self-promotion in MMA and everybody copying him, if he'll ever return to MMA, the promise he made on his father's deathbed about winning the UFC belt, why Fedor is terrible, the testosterone era, UFC 193, grappling competitions and who his next opponent at Metamoris will be, Kanye West and Kanye saying he'll run for president, what 'Front Row Brian' actually looks like, and much more.
- Andrei Arlovski returns to Submission Radio to talk about his recent win over Frank Mir, why he was disappointed with his performance, the negativity that came post-fight, his response to critics, what he did right, why he underestimated Frank Mir, pre-fight distractions, being lighter than usual, how badly he injured his hand, if the Mir fight hurt his chances of getting a title shot, if Fedor deserves an immediate title fight against Fabricio Werdum, wanting a rematch with Fedor upon his return, how successful Fedor can be at his age, if Junior Dos Santos will ever be the same after the two Cain Velasquez losses, if he would fight Alistair Overeem despite being teammates, and much more.
- MMA pioneer and legend Kirik Jenness of "The Underground" aka MixedMartialArts.com joins Submission Radio for a roundtable discussion on such topics as Miesha Tate and if Dana White saved her career by giving Holly Holm a title shot instead, if Fedor is too old to make a successful return, and if the stale format of The Ultimate Fighter still has a place in today's MMA world.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_65_Chael_Sonnen_Andrei_Arlovski_Kirik_Jenness.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 3:49am AEST
Mon, 7 September 2015
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Hector Lombard returns to Submission Radio to talk about his experience at the 2015 ADCC, feeling robbed but happy with his performance, how he feels about missing out on competing at UFC 193 in Australia, the disappointment of only fighting in Australia once, if he'll still compete at the 2016 Rio Olympics, people only calling him out when he's injured, if Rory MacDonald will be the same after his loss to Lawler, who wins between Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit, Johny Hendricks 'blanket' style, sparring wars with Mark Hunt and other K1 kickboxers, and much more.
- Pat Cummins returns to Submission Radio to discuss his recent successes as well as tough losses. "Durkin" looks back on what went wrong against Ovince Saint Preux, how comfortable he is striking and exactly how much he's looking to improve his stand-up skills, his tough win over 'Fejao' Rafael Cavalcante, what went through his mind when he took those big shots that busted his face up, his fight against Glover Teixeira and what his advantages will be, how likely it will be that he'll be forced to stand with Glover, rematching Daniel Cormier and how legitimate his title is, how DC would do in a rematch against Jon Jones, his advice to Ryan Bader after getting passed over for the title shot, Tinder, his recent fishing trip, crazy mountain biking, and much more.
- UFC veteran and current WSOF middleweight champion David Branch makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to talk about his fight against Teddy Holder at WSOF 23 for the light heavyweight belt. Branch also looks back on his tough past as an iron worker, growing up in the Bronx, why getting cut from the UFC may have been the best thing to happen to him, fining his stride and having the opportunity to hold two belts simultaneously, his confidence in finishing Teddy Holder, Rousimar Palhares and if he should be allowed to fight again, whether he would move down to welterweight for a third belt, his relationship with Renzo Gracie, if he plans on returning to the UFC eventually, and more.
- Also on the show is a breakdown of UFC 191 and fights such as Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson, Andrei Arlovski vs Frank Mir, Anthony Johnson vs Jimi Manua, Corey Anderson vs Jan Blachowicz, Paige VanZant vs Alex Chambers, John Lineker vs Francisco Rivera, Raquel Pennington vs Jessica Andrage, and more.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_64_Hector_Lombard_Patrick_Cummins_David_Branch__UFC_191.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 3:45am AEST