Mon, 28 March 2016
This week's Guests on the show include:
Dan Kelly starts at: 4:10
- Julianna Pena returns to Submission Radio to discuss her time away on the sidelines, putting her legal issues behind and focusing on her octagon return, Miesha Tate defeating Holly Holm and becoming the new women's Bantamweight champion, whether her friendship with Miesha would stop the two from fighting, where exactly she belongs in the division and if she deserves the next title shot, Amanda Nunes as a potential contender, her time in Melbourne Australia around UFC 193, how Ronda Rousey's knockout loss affected her title campaign, training with Ben Rothwell and Luiz Claudio and more.
- Nate Diaz's Boxing coach Richard Perez returns to Submission Radio to discuss Nate's win over Conor McGregor at UFC 196, Nate's actual weight and physical condition heading into the fight, the possibility of a rematch happening at UFC 200, how the fight would go with Nate on a full camp, why the fight would be at welterweight, if Richard still believes that Conor McGregor is on steroids, Nate facing Rafael Dos Anjos in a rematch, Nate's injuries going into the first RDA fight, fighting Robbie Lawler and why it wouldn't be a good idea for Nate, big money fights and the Diaz camp being tired of making 'chump change' and lots more.
- MMA Fighting's Luke Thomas makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to talk about MMA finally being legalized in New York, how often the UFC would do shows in Madison Square Garden, the rumours of the UFC being sold to China Media Capital, UFC Brisbane and referee Steve Perceval's controversial officiating of the Hector Lombard vs Neil Magny fight, Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz having a rematch at UFC 200, why the fight would be at welterweight and what other possible scenarios exist, if Mark Hunt could still possibly become a UFC champion and more.
- "The Celtic Kid" Jake Matthews makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to discuss his big win over Johnny Case at UFC Brisbane, his clean lifestyle and how he celebrates wins, going to university and how long he'll stick with fighting, how hard his recent weight cut was and potentially moving to welterweight in the future, the interest in him fighting Sage Northcutt, his callout of Conor McGregor for UFC 196 and how that fight would've gone, and lots more.
- Dan Kelly makes his first appearance on Submission Radio to talk about his big win at UFC Brisbane against Antonio Carlos Junior, being such a big underdog in all his fights and proving people wrong, how his body is holding up at 38 years of age and how long he'll continue to fight, being a father-figure to Australian MMA fighters, his plans to coach the 2016 Olympic Judo team and more.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_86_Julianna_Pena_Luke_Thomas_Richard_Perez_Jake_Matthews_Dan_Kelly.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 1:30pm AEST
Tue, 15 March 2016
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Chael Sonnen returns to Submission Radio to discuss Justin Gaethje’s dominant performance at WSOF 29, how Gaethje would do in the UFC against top 10 lightweights, if his exciting style could potentially shorten his career, Conor McGregor losing to Nate Diaz at UFC 196 and what it does for his career, the possibility of Conor losing to Frankie Edgar at UFC 200, Justin Bieber commenting on Nate Diaz’s style and calling it terrible, Miesha Tate choking out Holly Holm, why he believes Holly shouldn’t have taken the fight in the first place and why Holm’s manager doesn’t know what he’s doing, Michael Bisping’s victory over Anderson Silva at UFC London and where that puts “The Spider” in the middleweight division, his grappling match against Bisping at UR Fight, how the match will differ to when the two fought in the UFC, whether or not Chael would ever unretired and return to the UFC and who he would face.
- Gunnar Nelson returns to Submission Radio to discuss his fight against Albert Tumenov at UFC Rotterdam, fighting in Europe as opposed to Las Vegas, what advantages he has over the Russian and if he believes he can outstrike him, how the loss to Demian Maia affected him and what he learned, the reason why he had no energy in the fight, if he feels a big statement win over Tumenov is necessary to get back into title contention, who he thinks should get the next title shot at welterweight, Conor McGregor losing to Nate Diaz at UFC 196, what went wrong for Conor in the fight, the extreme weight cuts Conor will have to endure to stay at featherweight, MMA’s obsession with weight cutting and being bigger in the cage, Deadpool the movie, The Mighty Ducks movies, the Blue Lagoon and more.
- Coach Mike Winkeljohn returns to Submission Radio to discuss Holly Holm’s loss to Miesha Tate and what went wrong in the fight, if he thought Holm would win once she began to dominate in the 5th round, his reaction when Miesha got the choke and if he expected it to end the fight, Dana White’s comments on Holly missing out on a big payday because she didn’t wait for the Ronda Rousey rematch, Nate Diaz potentially getting the next title shot against Robbie Lawler, if Carlos Condit is and closer to returning and who he’d like to face, Jon Jones’ preparation for the Daniel Cormier rematch at UFC 197, DC employing the help of Glory Kickboxer Chi Lewis-Parry, Jones getting in Cormier’s head again, if cage rust will be a factor, Alistair Overeem fighting Andrei Arlovski and who he’ll corner, how training will be split up and how hard it will be to watch both fighters take each other out, the honor of Jackson/Winkeljohn’s being named “2015 gym of the year” and lots more.
- Elias Cepeda of Fox Sports returns to the program to discuss some hot topics in MMA, including Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice potentially failing their drug tests from Bellator 149, if Scott Coker should get rid of the two fighters or keep them due to the ratings they bring in, The UFC’s Unstoppable press conference and which fights are the most exciting, if the UFC needs to create new stars, Who Nick Diaz should face upon his return, if UFC 200 is too early for Conor McGregor to return, and what other fights would make sense for the card.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_85_Chael_Sonnen_Gunnar_Nelson_Coach_Wink_Elias_Cepeda.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 1:43am AEST
Tue, 8 March 2016
This week's topics include the breakdown of and fallout from UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz.
- Joining Submission Radio to help makes sense of all the action, are Robin Black (Fight Network), Marc Raimondi (MMA Fighting) and Tommy Toe Hold (TTTHS).
-Topics discussed include Nate Diaz submitting Conor McGregor in a shocking upset, McGregor gassing, what's next for Nate Diaz, what the loss does to McGregor and his future, Miesha Tate scoring the underdog win and choking out Holly Holm to become the new UFC Bantamweight champion, thoughts on how Holly and Miesha performed, what the loss means for Holm, what's next for Miesha and where Ronda Rousey fits in the picture, the general vibe at the event and how many Irish fans made the trip, plans for GSP at UFC 200.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_84_UFC_196_Breakdown_Robin_Black_Tommy_Toe_Hold_Marc_Raimondi.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 7:35am AEST