Mon, 27 July 2015
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Bas Rutten makes a return to Submission Radio to talk about his recent UFC Hall of Fame induction, among other things. El Guapo chats about what it was like to enjoy the UFC 189 fight week festivities, hanging out with Don Frye, what it means to be inducted, his relationship with Dana White, Commentating in the UFC, the evolution of the sport since he was champion, Bruce Lee and how he would do in MMA today, Conor McGregor's win at UFC over Chad Mendes to become the interim featherweight champion, if the fight exposed any holes in Conor's game, Conor's straight punches, Chad's performance, how Conor will do against Jose Aldo, Fedor Emelianenko returning to MMA, if he thinks Fedor can still be a force in today's heavyweight landscape, a rematch against Fabricio Werdum, Fedor going to 205, Jacob "Stitch" Duran being let go from the UFC, the time he accidentally knocked out a pro wrestler, fighting off your back in a street fight, and lots more!
- Jake Shields returns to Submission Radio to discuss his fight against Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22: Palhares vs. Shields. The former UFC title contender talks about Palhares and why he deserves to get hurt, if he thinks there's any chance that the leg lock related injuries could be an accident, training with Renzo Gracie and John Danaher in New York, defending leg locks, his advantages over the WSOF welterweight champion, if this is the most personal rivalry he's been involved in, thoughts on Jacob "Stitch" Duran being let go from the UFC, the UFC's Reebok uniforms and all of the spelling mistakes, his thoughts on Robbie Lawler's fight against Rory MacDonald at UFC 189 and how he would see a rematch between Lawler and himself going, if he was surprised that Hector Lombard failed his post-fight drug test, his time and experience so far in WSOF, if Nick Diaz will fight again in the UFC, and more.
- Justin Gaethje makes his first ever appearance on Submission Radio to talk about his rematch against Luis Palomino at WSOF 23. The World Series of Fighting Lightweight champion and standout explains why the two are fighting again, who else he's eyeing in the division, if he feels pressure for the rematch to live up to the classic that was the first fight, what he learned from his victory over Palomino, if he hopes to one day fight in the UFC, lightweights in the UFC that he feels he matches up well with, Donald Cowboy Cerrone's comments about UFC champion Rafael Dos Anjos being on PEDs, Gilbert Melendez, if he thinks Conor McGregor can be successful at lightweight, backflips, his favourite music, and more.
- Also on the show is discussion about UFC on Fox 16 and fights such as TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao 2, Miesha Tate vs Jessica Eye, Edson Barboza vs Paul Felder, Joe Lauzon vs Takanori Gomi, Tom Lawler vs Gian Villante, Jim Miller vs Danny Castillo, Ben Saunders vs Kenny Robertson, Bryan Caraway vs Eddie Wineland, and more.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_59_Bas_Rutten_Jake_Shields_Justin_Gaethje__UFC_on_Fox_16.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 6:39am AEST
Mon, 20 July 2015
This week's Guests on the show include:
- Tito Ortiz returns to Submission Radio to talk about his fight against Liam McGeary at Bellator 142, becoming world champion again, if winning the Bellator Light Heavyweight title would mean as much as when he originally won the UFC title, the direction that Bellator is going in, Ken Shamrock vs Kimbo Slice and the criticism that the fight received, Joe Rogan's comments and whether or not he thought it was fixed, Conor McGregor's look and fame, Ronda Rousey vs. Cris Cyborg, if Cyborg can make 135, why the fight would be better than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, the UFC Reebok deal and uniforms, his ex-girlfriend Jenna Jameson's lawsuit, if he thinks Fedor Emelianenko will sign with Bellator, fighting Fedor, and more.
- M-1 Global Founder and longtime manager/friend of Fedor Emelianenko, Vadim Finkelchtein makes an appearance on Submission Radio to talk about the return of "The Last Emperor". Vadim talks about why Fedor has decided to return, if he can compete with the top heavyweights in the world at this age, the changes Fedor had made while being part of the Russian MMA union, what Fedor looks for in a promotion and which one he may go to, Scott Coker and Bellator, whether or not the past dealings with Dana White will affect Fedor's chances of being in the UFC, Fedor becoming champion again, Khabib's Nurmagomedov's advice to Fedor, the possibility of fighting Randy Couture, M-1 Global's focus on Europe and why the company has not expanded to America and Australia, Russian fighters and how they compare to UFC fighters, and lots more.
- UFC Strawweight and former Invicta Atomweight champion Michelle Waterson makes her first appearance on Submission Radio to talk about her first UFC win at the Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale against Angela Magana. "The Karate Hottie" talks about her return to the Strawweight division, what it was like leaving Invicta, UFC jitters, close armbars, Angela as a person, how tough the cut was to Atomweight, the new IV ban, possible next opponents, a rematch against Jessica Penne, facing Joanna Jedrzejczyk, who the better striker is, her experience on American Ninja Warrior, Bully Beatdown, Android and Samsung phones, if she had to create an app, and more.
- Also on the show is discussion about UFC Fight Night Mir vs Duffee, UFC Fight Night Glasgow and such fights as Frank Mir vs Todd Duffee, Tony Ferguson vs Josh Thompson, Holly Holm vs Marion Reneau, Joseph Duffee vs Ivan Jorge, Evan Dunham vs Ross Pearson, Michael Bisping vs Thales Leites, and more.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_58_Tito_Ortiz_Vadim_Finkelchtein_Michelle_Waterson__UFC_Glasgow.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 6:34am AEST
Mon, 13 July 2015
This week's topics include the breakdown of and fallout from UFC 189: McGregor vs. Mendes.
- In a special round table edition of Submission Radio, Tommy Toe Hold and "The Wrestling Observer's" Dave Meltzer join Kacper and Denis to discuss the grand event that was UFC 189. The team discuss topics such as Gunnar Nelson vs. Brandon Thatch, if Gunnar can still be a force in the welterweight division, Brandon Thatch being the favourite, Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens, the flying knee KO, what you do with Jeremy next, what the loss means for Dennis and if his title campaign is over, Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald, Rory almost passing out after the fight, the world picking Rory to win and him never living up to his expectations, if a third fight would make sense, Lawler's nasty lip cut, if Robbie will be a champion for a long time, Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes, Sinead O'Connor's singing and the live entrances, if and how well Conor passed the 'wrestler' test, chad freezing in front of Conor, if Chad's short camp actually made a difference in the fight, if the fight was stopped early by Herb Dean, if UFC 189 was the UFC's biggest ever event and if it lived up to the hype.
- Also on the show is discussion on the UFC's new logo and visual presentation, the new PPV intro and music used, Cris Cyborg vs. Ronda Rousey and if the fight will ever happen now that Cyborg will retire in 3 years.
Direct download: Submission_Radio_13-7-15_UFC_189_Breakdown_with_Tommy_Toe_Hold_Dave_Meltzer.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 7:04pm AEST